It’s A Stained Glass Window

https://wordpress.com/meStained Glass Window Quilt

   What have I been doing? Lots of new quilts.

I mentioned in my last post, I would be catching you up on some of my newer art quilts. I don’t see any posts showing this one [it’s probably seven posts back], so here’s one I’ve finished and have already shipped to its new home.

Meeting so many nice people, a perk I didn’t anticipate.

This is a commission for one of my favorite customers. I’ve had so many really nice customers in the years I’ve been doing this. I’ve met some very nice  people.

I’ve had an opportunity to spend enough time working with some of my customers, particularly when working on commissions, that I’ve gotten to know them. That’s been a part of opening my business that I hadn’t anticipated, a very nice part.

An art quilt, Stained Glass Windowhttps://asianartandquilts.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/img_3207.jpg

 

Now getting back to this particular art quilt, a stained glass window wall-hanging. it was a fun quilt to work on. I tried to make it look like a realistic stained glass window. The tricky part was to how could I create the illusion of light behind the panes, subtle, without it looking too obvious. I definitely didn’t want shafts of light shining down.

https://asianartandquilts.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/img_0255-2.jpg

https://asianartandquilts.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/img_0247-copy.jpg?w=667

Stained Glass

 

The green milky colored “glass”  was designed to resemble the old type of stained glass which appeared more opaque. The color in this  glass didn’t appear perfectly uniform, there were a few darker streaks here & there. You can see examples of this sort of glass in some Tiffany lamps.

Let the experiments begin

Creating the translucent panes was what really had me stumped. So the experiments began! I wanted to create a subtle light, backlighting the window. I had firmly decided that I did not want beams of light streaming down. But how?

I tried many, many different “brilliant” ideas, some like this “genius” one, my favorite. I added  a bit of a clear acrylic glue to the paint as I mixed the color. My reasoning was that the glossy quality of the glue and the fact that it was clear might appear more like glass. Actually, I found that wasn’t  the case.

https://asianartandquilts.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/img_3207.jpg

You may have already have thought of the biggest problem with this approach, I did not…at least not immediately. I began by taping the fabric onto a large piece of cardboard to paint. Then waited for the paint to dry.

As we are all aware, glue sticks things together. I can testify to the fact that it definitely sticks fabric to cardboard, FYI. In theory, it seemed like such a good idea. In reality peeling cardboard which has been glued to the back of a piece of fabric is just not worth all the trouble, toss that one.

 

Finally…

There were small experimental fabric squares laying on every surface in my studio, experiments that went wrong. I may be a bit thick headed, but when I finally got it right, well I think I got it right. I’ll let you be the judge of that. Next post another of my newer art quilts.

https://asianartandquilts.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/img_2794.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements